On a hot summer day, it’s hard to name anything worse than a malfunctioning air conditioner. We all know how brutal the summer heat can be, so a working AC is a necessity for most of us. If you find that your AC is running, but your house isn’t as cool as it should be, there could be a few different reasons as to why. Not only is a broken AC a significant inconvenience, it can also be a danger to your health depending on how high the temperatures rise.
What Can I Do When My AC Isn’t Blowing Cold Air?
- Check Your Vents: If your AC isn’t blowing cold air, the first thing you’ll want to do is check your vents. If you don’t feel any air coming out of the vents, this is a telltale sign that your air filter is clogged. Just like your car’s oil change, filters should be changed regularly. Once you notice your filter is dirty, unscrew the metal casing on the outside of the vent and remove the dirty filter with your hands. If you have an extra filter at home, great! Pop the new one in. If you don’t have an extra, stop by your local home improvement store and buy one. Make sure you know the exact dimensions you’ll need by either measuring the old filter or taking a picture of the dimensions if they’re printed on the side.
- Check Your Thermostat: Another reason your AC isn’t blowing cold air could be because of a malfunctioning thermostat. Check your thermostat and make sure the temperature is set to an appropriate temperature. If it is, the thermostat’s batteries might need to be replaced. And of course, if you’re seeing a “low battery” warning on your thermostat, change the batteries right away. While thermostats have a fairly decent lifespan, it’s probably time to upgrade after about 10 years.
- Clean Your Compressor: Over time, debris can build up around your compressor and prevent your AC unit from running properly. While cleaning the area around your compressor should be part of your AC maintenance, our team at Jack Frost Heating & Air Conditioning, LLC will remove debris and clean your system when you schedule an AC maintenance checkup with us.
- Check Your Refrigerant Levels: A refrigerant leak is a common cause for why your AC isn’t blowing cold air. If you see ice buildup on the refrigerant line or hear a hissing sound, these are all warning signs of a refrigerant leak. Due to the chemicals involved, you should always resort to a professional to assist with refrigerant leaks. Simply turn off your air conditioner to prevent any damage to the compressor and wait for Jack Frost Heating & Air Conditioning, LLC to arrive!
- Check Your Air Ducts: The purpose of air ducts is to deliver the cooled air from your AC unit into your home. If your air ducts are dirty, your AC system has to work even harder to create cool air that can be dispersed around your home. So, even if your AC is generating cool air, it won’t feel like it if your air ducts are dirty. More importantly, when your ducts are dirty and your AC system is overworking itself, energy is being wasted, resulting in a higher utility bill.
What To Do If the AC is Running But Not Cooling
It's possible that your central air conditioning system includes an outdoor condenser unit. If that's true, this might apply to you. If your air conditioner is running but not cooling down inside, one issue could be a blocked or clogged condenser coil. When this functions properly, the condenser fan draws air into that outdoor unit, ultimately cooling your indoor spaces. It is best to call a professional, especially if you're unsure of your air conditioner's mechanics.
This is only one scenario, there are several reasons your air conditioner may be running but not cooling.
Schedule AC Maintenance Today
Most people don’t think about regular AC maintenance until something actually goes wrong with their system. Regular inspections and tune-ups will prevent these issues from happening and end up saving you money in the long run on repairs. Contact us today at (973) 520-0505 if you notice any of the above issues with your air conditioning system. We’ll be right out to have your AC back up and running in no time!